The EMD FP7A was a 1,500 horsepower, B-B dual service passenger and freight hauling diesel locomotive produced between June 1949 and December 1953 by General Motors' Electro Motive Division and General Motors Diesel. The FP7A was essentially EMD's F7A locomotive extended by four feet to give greater water capacity for the steam generator for heating passenger trains. There were a total of 381 cab equipped A units built, but there were no cabless B units sold. The regular EMD F7B, the cabless B unit, were used with the FP7A, cab A units. The EMD FP7A and its successor, the FP9, were off shoots of GM-EMD's highly successful F-unit series of cab unit freight diesels.