The GS-6 is a semi-streamlined 4-8-4 Northern type of steam locomotive that served the Southern Pacific from 1943 to 1958 and the Western Pacific Railroad from 1943 to 1953. They were built during World War Ii for the Southern Pacific Railroad by the Lima Locomotive Works and were number 4460 through 4469 for Southern Pacific and 481 through 486 for Western Pacific. GS stands for "Golden State" or "General Service".
The Western Pacific used its GS-6s (GS-64s as WP classified them) on passenger trains and in freight service as well. They acquired a different look from their SP sisters when the WP applied the "elephant ear" style smoke deflectors to all six locomotives. When the Western Pacific dieselized in 1953 they sold three GS-64 engines (WP 481, 484 and 485) to Southern Pacific for spare parts, but kept the tenders and converted them to steam generators for rotary snowplows.
Fully Assembled Model
DCC Equipped For Speed, Direction, and Lighting
Dual Mode NMRA Compliant Decoder
Die Cast Metal Chassis
Metal Side Rods and Wheels
Wire Railings and Coupler Cut Levers
Accurately Molded Plastic Body Shell
Operating Headlight and Backup Light
Measures 15-5/8" x 1-3/8" x 2-1/2"
E-Z Mate Mark II Couplers With Metal Coil Springs
Performs Best On 22" Radius Curves Or Greater